LTC2978A - 8-Channel PMBus Power System Manager Featuring Accurate Output Voltage Measurement
- Sequence, Trim, Margin and Supervise Eight Power Supplies
- Manage Faults, Monitor Telemetry and Create Fault Logs
- PMBus Compliant Command Set
- Supported by LTpowerPlay™ GUI
- Margin or Trim Supplies to 0.25% Accuracy
- Fast OV/UV Supervisors per Channel
- Coordinate Sequencing and Fault Management Across Multiple Chips
- Automatic Fault Logging to Internal EEPROM
- Operate Autonomously without Additional Software
- Internal Temperature and Input Voltage Supervisors
- Accurate Monitoring of Eight Output Voltages, Input Voltage and Internal Die Temperature
- I2C/SMBus Serial Interface
- Can Be Powered from 3.3V, or 4.5V to 15V
- Programmable Watchdog Timer
- 100% Compatible with the LTC2978
- Available in 64-pin 9mm × 9mm QFN Package
- LTpowerPlay Configuration and Development Tool
AEC-Q100 data available for specific packages
The LTC®2978A is an 8-channel Power System Manager used to sequence, trim (servo), margin, supervise, manage faults, provide telemetry and create fault logs. PMBus commands support power supply sequencing, precision point-of-load voltage adjustment and margining. DACs use a proprietary soft-connect algorithm to minimize supply disturbances. Supervisory functions include overvoltage and undervoltage threshold limits for eight power supply output channels and one power supply input channel, as well as over and under temperature limits. Programmable fault responses can disable the power supplies with optional retry after a fault is detected. Faults that disable a power supply can automatically trigger black box EEPROM storage of fault status and associated telemetry. An internal 16-bit ADC monitors eight output voltages, one input voltage, and die temperature. In addition, odd numbered channels can be configured to measure the voltage across a current sense resistor. A programmable watchdog timer monitors microprocessor activity for a stalled condition and resets the microprocessor if necessary. A single wire bus synchronizes power supplies across multiple LTC power system management devices. Configuration EEPROM supports autonomous operation without additional software.
CAD Symbols and Footprints: The downloadable Zip file below contains the schematic symbol and PCB footprints.
For complete and up to date package information and drawings, please refer to our packaging page
- Part numbers ending in PBF are lead free. Solder plated terminal finish (SnPb) versions are non-standard and special terms and conditions and pricing applies if available. Please contact LTC marketing for information.
- Part numbers containing TR or TRM are shipped in tape and reel or 500 unit mini tape and reel, respectively
- Please refer to our general ordering information or the product datasheet for more details
Package Variations and Pricing
|Buy Now • Request Samples|
Demo BoardsLinear Technology offers many demo boards free of charge to qualified customers. Contact your local sales office or distributor to inquire about a demo board. Certain demo boards are also available for sale via credit card on this website. Demo boards are for evaluation purposes only. It remains the customer’s responsibility to verify proper and reliable operation in the actual end application.
|DC1508B-A||LTC2977, LTC2978A, LTC2978 Socketed Programming Board [requires DC1613]||$95.00|
|DC1613A||USB-to-PMBus Controller for Use with LTpowerPlay||$50.00|
Designed for Automotive and Transportation ApplicationsAEC-Q100 data is available for these specific part numbers. Please contact your local sales representative for more information regarding reliability reports or to inquire about parts that are not included. For more information, view our Automotive and Transportation page
|Buy Now • Request Samples|
- Computers and Network Servers
- Industrial Test and Measurement
- High Reliability Systems
- Medical Imaging
People Who Viewed This Product Also Viewed
- LTC2978 - Octal Digital Power Supply Manager with EEPROM
- LTC2977 - 8-Channel PMBus Power System Manager Featuring Accurate Output Voltage Measurement
- LTC2974 - 4-Channel PMBus Power System Manager Featuring Accurate Output Current Measurement
- LT8705 - 80V VIN and VOUT Synchronous 4-Switch Buck- Boost DC/DC Controller
- LTM4676 - Dual 13A or Single 26A μModule (Power Module) Regulator with Digital Power System Management
- LTM4644 - Quad DC/DC μModule (Power Module) Regulator with Configurable 4A Output Array
- LTC3880 - Dual Output PolyPhase Step-Down DC/DC Controller with Digital Power System Management
- LT8614 - 42V, 4A Synchronous Step-Down Silent Switcher with 2.5μA Quiescent Current
- LTC2945 - Wide Range I2C Power Monitor
- LTC4359 - Ideal Diode Controller with Reverse Input Protection
Please login to your MyLinear account for notifications of datasheet updates, new document releases and LTspice model announcements for your favorite products. If you do not have a MyLinear account you may Sign Up Now.
LTpowerPlay is a powerful development environment supporting Linear Technology's Digital Power System Management (PSM) products, providing unprecedented diagnostic and debug features.