- Quick Start Guide
- PCB Assembly/Reflow & Packaging
- Application Notes
- Simulation Tools
- Reliability Report
- Materials Declaration & RoHS Compliance
- Purchase Demo Board
LTM8040 - 36V, 1A μModule LED Driver and Current Source
- True Color PWM Delivers Constant Color with 250:1 Dimming Ratio
- Wide Input Range: 4V to 36V
- Up to 1A LED Current
- Adjustable Control of LED Current
- High Output Current Accuracy is Maintained Over a Wide Range from 35mA to 1A
- Open LED and Short-Circuit Protection
- Grounded LED Cathode Connection
- Small Footprint (15mm × 9mm × 4.32mm) Surface Mount LGA Package
DescriptionThe LTM8040 is a fixed frequency 1A step-down DC/DC μModule regulator designed to operate as a constant current source. Internal circuitry monitors the output current to provide accurate current regulation, which is ideal for driving high current LEDs. High output current accuracy is maintained over a wide current range, from 35mA to 1A, allowing a wide dimming range over an output voltage range of 2.5V to 13V. Unique PWM circuitry allows a dimming range of 250:1, avoiding the color shift normally associated with LED current dimming.
With its wide input range of 4V to 36V, the LTM8040 regulates a broad array of power sources, from 4-cell batteries and 5V logic rails to unregulated wall transformers, lead acid batteries and distributed power supplies.
The LTM8040 is packaged in a thermally enhanced, compact (15mm × 9mm × 4.32mm) molded Land Grid Array (LGA) package suitable for automated assembly by standard surface mount equipment. The LTM8040 is Pb-free and RoHS compliant.
CAD Symbols and Footprints: The downloadable Zip file below contains the schematic symbol and PCB footprint compatible with Mentor Graphics PADS® v9.5 or later, and Cadence ORCAD® v16.5 or later.
For complete and up to date package information and drawings, please refer to our packaging page
15mm x 9mm x 4.32mm LGA
- Part numbers ending in PBF are lead free. Please contact LTC marketing for information on lead based finish parts.
- Part numbers containing TR or TRM are shipped in tape and reel or 500 unit mini tape and reel, respectively
- Please refer to our general ordering information or the product datasheet for more details
Package Variations and Pricing
|Part Number||Package||Pins||Temp||Price (1-99)||Price (1k)*||RoHS Data|
|Buy Now • Request Samples|
Demo BoardsLinear Technology offers many demo boards free of charge to qualified customers. Contact your local sales office or distributor to inquire about a demo board. Certain demo boards are also available for sale via credit card on this website. Demo boards are for evaluation purposes only. It remains the customer’s responsibility to verify proper and reliable operation in the actual end application.
|DC1274A||LTM8040EV Demo Board | 36V, 1A Buck LED Driver.||$65.00|
- Automotive and Avionic Lighting
- Architectural Detail Lighting
- Display Backlighting
- Constant Current Sources
People Who Viewed This Product Also Viewed
- LTM8042/LTM8042-1 - uModule Boost LED Driver and Current Source
- LT3080 - Adjustable 1.1A Single Resistor Low Dropout Regulator
- LT3092 - 200mA 2-Terminal Programmable Current Source
- LT3796/LT3796-1 - 100V Constant-Current and Constant-Voltage Controller with Dual Current Sense
- LT3080-1 - Parallelable 1.1A Adjustable Single Resistor Low Dropout Regulator
- LT3761 - 60VIN LED Controller with Internal PWM Generator
- LT3085 - Adjustable 500mA Single Resistor Low Dropout Regulator
- LT3474/LT3474-1 - Step-Down 1A LED Driver
- LT3956 - 80VIN, 80VOUT Constant-Current, Constant-Voltage Converter
- LT3518 - Full-Featured LED Driver with 2.3A Switch Current
Please login to your MyLinear account for notifications of datasheet updates, new document releases and LTspice model announcements for your favorite products. If you do not have a MyLinear account you may Sign Up Now.
LTspice IV is a powerful, fast and free simulation tool, schematic capture and waveform viewer with enhancements and models for improving the simulation of switching regulators. Click here to download LTspice IV
To launch a ready to run LTspice demonstration circuit for this part:
- Step 1: If you have not installed LTspice on this computer, download and install LTspice IV
- Step 2: Once LTspice is installed, click on the link(s) below to launch the simulation
- Step 3: If LTspice IV does not automatically open after clicking the link above, you can instead run the simulation by right clicking on the link and selecting "Save Target As". After saving the file to your computer, start LTspice and open the demonstration circuit by selecting 'Open' from the 'File' menu
To explore other ready to run LTspice demonstration circuits, please visit our Demo Circuits Collection.
Models for the following parts are available in LTspice IV: