LTC7860 - High Efficiency Switching Surge Stopper
- High Efficiency VOUT Clamp Stops High Voltage Input Surges
- SWITCH-ON Mode 100% Duty Cycle for Normal Operation
- PROTECTIVE PWM Mode for Transients and Faults
- VIN Pin to SGND Range: 3.5V to 60V
- External Input Voltage is Extendable to 200V+
- Adjustable Output Voltage Clamp
- Adjustable Output Overcurrent Protection
- Power Inductor Improves Input EMI in Normal Operation
- Programmable Fault Timer
- Adjustable Soft-Start for Input Inrush Current Limiting
- 4.5% Retry Duty Cycle During Faults
- Adjustable Switching Frequency: 50kHz to 850kHz
- Optional Reverse Input Voltage Protection
- Available in Thermally Enhanced 12-lead MSOP Package
The LTC®7860 high efficiency surge stopper protects loads from high voltage transients. High efficiency permits higher currents and smaller solution sizes. During an input overvoltage event, such as a load dump in vehicles, the LTC7860 controls the gate of an external MOSFET to act as a switching DC/DC regulator (PROTECTIVE PWM mode). This operation regulates the output voltage to a safe level, allowing the loads to operate through the input over-voltage event. During normal operation (SWITCHON mode), the LTC7860 turns on the external MOSFET continuously, passing the input voltage through to the output. An internal comparator limits the voltage across the current sense resistor and regulates the maximum output current to protect against overcurrent faults.
An adjustable timer limits the time that the LTC7860 can spend in overvoltage or overcurrent regulation. When the timer expires, the external MOSFET is turned off until the LTC7860 restarts after a cool down period. By strictly limiting the time in PROTECTIVE PWM Mode when the power loss is high, the components and thermal design can be optimized for normal operation and safely operate through high voltage input surges and/or overcurrent faults. An additional PMOS can be added for reverse battery protection.
CAD Symbols and Footprints: The downloadable Zip file below contains the schematic symbol and PCB footprints.
For complete and up to date package information and drawings, please refer to our packaging page
- Part numbers ending in PBF are lead free. Solder plated terminal finish (SnPb) versions are non-standard and special terms and conditions and pricing applies if available. Please contact LTC marketing for information.
- Part numbers containing TR or TRM are shipped in tape and reel or 500 unit mini tape and reel, respectively
- Please refer to our general ordering information or the product datasheet for more details
Package Variations and Pricing
|Buy Now • Request Samples|
Demo BoardsLinear Technology offers many demo boards free of charge to qualified customers. Contact your local sales office or distributor to inquire about a demo board. Certain demo boards are also available for sale via credit card on this website. Demo boards are for evaluation purposes only. It remains the customer’s responsibility to verify proper and reliable operation in the actual end application.
|DC2239A||LTC7860EMSE Demo Board | Switching Surge Stopper, 3.5V ≤ VIN ≤ 60V; 3.5V ≤ VOUT ≤ 17.5V @ 5A||$150.00|
|DC2392A||LTC7860EMSE Demo Board | Switching Surge Stopper, 7V ≤ VIN ≤ 100V; 7V ≤ VOUT ≤ 35V @ 10A||$150.00|
- Industrial and Automotive Power
- Telecom Power
- Vehicle Power Including ISO7637
- Military Power Including MIL1275
People Who Viewed This Product Also Viewed
- LTC4364 - Surge Stopper with Ideal Diode
- LT4363 - High Voltage Surge Stopper with Current Limit
- LTC4366 - High Voltage Surge Stopper
- LT4356-1 and LT4356-2 - Surge Stopper
- LTC4365 - Overvoltage, Undervoltage and Reverse Supply Protection Controller
- LT4320/LT4320-1 - Ideal Diode Bridge Controller
- LTC4359 - Ideal Diode Controller with Reverse Input Protection
- LT8705 - 80V VIN and VOUT Synchronous 4-Switch Buck- Boost DC/DC Controller
- LT8640/LT8640-1 - 42V, 5A Synchronous Step-Down Silent Switcher with 2.5μA Quiescent Current
- LT3042 - 20V, 200mA, Ultralow Noise, Ultrahigh PSRR RF Linear Regulator
Please login to your MyLinear account for notifications of datasheet updates, new document releases and LTspice model announcements for your favorite products. If you do not have a MyLinear account you may Sign Up Now.
LTspice® software is a powerful, fast and free simulation tool, schematic capture and waveform viewer with enhancements and models for improving the simulation of switching regulators. Click here to download LTspice
To launch a ready to run LTspice demonstration circuit for this part:
- Step 1: If you have not installed LTspice on this computer, download and install LTspice
- Step 2: Once LTspice is installed, click on the link(s) below to launch the simulation
- Step 3: If LTspice does not automatically open after clicking the link above, you can instead run the simulation by right clicking on the link and selecting "Save Target As." After saving the file to your computer, start LTspice and open the demonstration circuit by selecting 'Open' from the 'File' menu
To explore other ready to run LTspice demonstration circuits, please visit our Demo Circuits Collection.
Models for the following parts are available in LTspice: