LTC4228-1/LTC4228-2 - Dual Ideal Diode and Hot Swap Controller
- Power Path and Inrush Current Control for Redundant Supplies
- Low Loss Replacement for Power Schottky Diodes
- Protects Output Voltage from Input Brownouts
- Allows Safe Hot Swapping from a Live Backplane
- 2.9V to 18V Operating Range
- Controls N-Channel MOSFETs
- Limits Peak Fault Current in ≤1μs
- Adjustable Current Limit with Circuit Breaker
- Adjustable Current Limit Fault Delay
- Smooth Switchover without Oscillation
- 0.5μs Ideal Diode Turn-On and Turn-Off Time
- Status, Fault and Power Good Outputs
- LTC4228-1: Latch Off After Fault
- LTC4228-2: Automatic Retry After Fault
- 28-Lead 4mm × 5mm QFN and SSOP Packages
The LTC®4228 offers ideal diode and Hot Swap™ functions for two power rails by controlling two external N-channel MOSFETs in each rail. MOSFETs acting as ideal diodes replace two high power Schottky diodes and the associated heat sinks, saving power and board area. Hot Swap control MOSFETs allow boards to be safely inserted and removed from a live backplane by limiting inrush current. The supply output is also protected against short-circuit faults with a fast acting current limit and internal timed circuit breaker.
The LTC4228 regulates the forward voltage drop across the external MOSFETs and sense resistor to ensure smooth current transfer from one supply to the other without oscillation. The ideal diodes turn on quickly to reduce the load voltage droop during supply switch-over. If the input supply fails or is shorted, a fast turn-off minimizes reverse-current transients.
The LTC4228 allows independent on/off control, and reports fault and power good status for the supply. The LTC4228 improves on the LTC4225 by recovering more quickly from input brownouts to preserve the output voltage.
PackagingFor complete and up to date package information and drawings, please refer to our packaging page
- Part numbers ending in PBF are lead free. Please contact LTC marketing for information on lead based finish parts.
- Part numbers containing TR or TRM are shipped in tape and reel or 500 unit mini tape and reel, respectively
- Please refer to our general ordering information or the product datasheet for more details
Package Variations and Pricing
|Part Number||Package||Pins||Temp||Price (1-99)||Price (1k)*||RoHS Data|
|Buy Now • Request Samples|
Demo BoardsLinear Technology offers many demo boards free of charge to qualified customers. Contact your local sales office or distributor to inquire about a demo board. Certain demo boards are also available for sale via credit card on this website. Demo boards are for evaluation purposes only. It remains the customer’s responsibility to verify proper and reliable operation in the actual end application.
|DC1899A-A||LTC4228-1 Demoboard | Dual Ideal Diode and Hot Swa||$75.00|
|DC1899A-B||LTC4228-2 Demoboard | Dual Ideal Diode and Hot Swa||$75.00|
- Redundant Power Supplies
- MicroTCA Systems and Servers
- Telecom Networks
- Power Prioritizer
People Who Viewed This Product Also Viewed
- LTC4370 - Two-Supply Diode-OR Current Balancing Controller
- LTC4359 - Ideal Diode Controller with Reverse Input Protection
- LTC4364 - Surge Stopper with Ideal Diode
- LT4363 - High Voltage Surge Stopper with Current Limit
- LTC4366-1/LTC4366-2 - High Voltage Surge Stopper
- LTM2883 - SPI/Digital or I2C μModule Isolator with Adjustable ±12.5V and 5V Regulated Power
- LTC3115-1 - 40V, 2A Synchronous Buck-Boost DC/DC Converter
- LTC4000 - High Voltage High Current Controller for Battery Charging and Power Management
- LT8610 - 42V, 2.5A Synchronous Step-Down Regulator with 2.5μA Quiescent Current
- LTC4412 - Low Loss PowerPath Controller in ThinSOT
Please login to your MyLinear account for notifications of datasheet updates, new document releases and LTspice model announcements for your favorite products. If you do not have a MyLinear account you may Sign Up Now.
LTspice IV is a powerful, fast and free simulation tool, schematic capture and waveform viewer with enhancements and models for improving the simulation of switching regulators. To download LTspice IV and other FREE simulation tools, please visit our Design Simulation page.
Related models available in LTspice IV