LTC4101 - Smart Battery Charger Controller
- Single Chip Smart Battery Charger Controller
- 100% Compliant (Rev. 1.1) SMBus Support Allows for Operation with or without Host
- Up to 4A Charging Current Capability
- High Efficiency Synchronous Buck Charger
- VBAT Optimized 3V to 5.5V
- SMBus Accelerator Improves SMBus Timing
- Hardware Interrupt and SMBAlert Response Eliminate Interrupt Polling
- 0.5V Dropout Voltage; Maximum Duty Cycle > 98%
- AC Adapter Current Limit Maximizes Charge Rate
- ±0.8% Voltage Accuracy; ±4% Current Accuracy
- 10-Bit DAC for Charge Current Programming
- 11-Bit DAC for Charger Voltage Programming
- User-Selectable Overvoltage and Overcurrent Limits
- High Noise Immunity SafetySignal Sensor
- Available in a 24-Pin SSOP Package
The LTC4101 Smart Battery Charger is a single chip charging solution that dramatically simplifies construction of an SBS compliant system. The LTC4101 implements a Level 2 charger function whereby the charger can be programmed by the battery or by the host. A SafetySignal on the battery being charged is monitored for temperature, connectivity and battery type information. The SMBus interface remains alive when the AC power adapter is removed and responds to all SMBus activity directed to it, including SafetySignal status (via the ChargerStatus command). The charger also provides an interrupt to the host whenever a status change is detected (e.g., battery removal, AC adapter connection).
Charging current and voltage are restricted to chemistry specific limits for improved system safety and reliability. Limits are programmable by two external resistors. Additionally, the maximum average current from the AC adapter is programmable to avoid overloading the adapter when simultaneously supplying load current and charging current. When supplying system load current, charging current is automatically reduced to prevent adapter overload.
PackagingFor complete and up to date package information and drawings, please refer to our packaging page
- Part numbers ending in PBF are lead free. Please contact LTC marketing for information on lead based finish parts.
- Part numbers containing TR or TRM are shipped in tape and reel or 500 unit mini tape and reel, respectively
- Please refer to our general ordering information or the product datasheet for more details
Package Variations and Pricing
|Buy Now • Request Samples|
Demo BoardsLinear Technology offers many demo boards free of charge to qualified customers. Contact your local sales office or distributor to inquire about a demo board. Certain demo boards are also available for sale via credit card on this website. Demo boards are for evaluation purposes only. It remains the customer’s responsibility to verify proper and reliable operation in the actual end application.
Click here to view our complete list of demo boards
- Portable Instruments and Computers
- Data Storage Systems and Battery Backup Servers
People Who Viewed This Product Also Viewed
- LTC4100 - Smart Battery Charger Controller
- LTC4002 - Standalone Li-Ion Switch Mode Battery Charger
- LT3652 - Power Tracking 2A Battery Charger for Solar Power
- LTC4110 - Battery Backup System Manager
- LT3796/LT3796-1 - 100V Constant-Current and Constant-Voltage Controller with Dual Current Sense
- LTC4000 - High Voltage High Current Controller for Battery Charging and Power Management
- LT1513 - SEPIC Constant- or Programmable-Current/Constant-Voltage Battery Charger
- LTC1759 - Smart Battery Charger
- LT3761 - 60VIN LED Controller with Internal PWM Generator
- LT1512 - SEPIC Constant-Current/Constant-Voltage Battery Charger
Please login to your MyLinear account for notifications of datasheet updates, new document releases and LTspice model announcements for your favorite products. If you do not have a MyLinear account you may Sign Up Now.
Linear Technology provides a variety of custom design simulation tools and device models to allow even novice designers to quickly and easily evaluate circuits using high performance switching regulators, amplifiers, data converters, filters and more. Please visit our Design Tools page to view and download: