LTC4012 - High Efficiency, Multi-Chemistry Battery Charger with PowerPath Control
- General Purpose Battery Charger Controller
- Efficient 550kHz Synchronous Buck PWM Topology
- ±0.5% Output Float Voltage Accuracy
- Programmable Charge Current: 4% Accuracy
- Programmable AC Adapter Current Limit: 3% Accuracy
- No Audible Noise with Ceramic Capacitors
- INFET Low Loss Ideal Diode PowerPath™ Control
- Wide Input Voltage Range: 6V to 28V
- Wide Output Voltage Range: 2V to 28V
- Indicator Outputs for AC Adapter Present, Charging, C/10 Current Detection and Input Current Limiting
- Analog Charge Current Monitor
- Micropower Shutdown
- 20-Pin 4mm × 4mm × 0.75mm QFN Package
AEC-Q100 data available for specific packages
The LTC4012 is a constant-current /constant-voltage battery charger controller. It uses a synchronous quasi-constant frequency PWM control architecture that will not generate audible noise with ceramic bulk capacitors. Charge current is set by external resistors and can be monitored as an output voltage. With no built-in termination, the LTC4012 family charges a wide range of batteries under external control.
The LTC4012 features fully adjustable output voltage, while the LTC4012-1 and LTC4012-2 can be pin-programmed for Lithium-Ion/Polymer battery packs of 1-, 2-, 3- or 4-series cells. The LTC4012-1 provides output voltage of 4.1V/cell and the LTC4012-2 is a 4.2V/cell version.
The device includes AC adapter input current limiting, which maximizes charge rate for a fixed input power level. An external sense resistor programs the input current limit, and the ICL status pin indicates reduced charge current as a result of AC adapter current limiting. Ideal diode control at the adaptor input improves charger efficiency.
The CHRG status pin is active during all charging modes, including special indication for low charge current.
|Vfloat||Vfloat Range||/ACP Pin|
|LTC4012-1||4.2V||1-4 Li-Ion Cells||Yes|
|LTC4012-2||4.1V||1-4 Li-Ion Cells||Yes|
PackagingFor complete and up to date package information and drawings, please refer to our packaging page
- Part numbers ending in PBF are lead free. Solder plated terminal finish (SnPb) versions are non-standard and special terms and conditions and pricing applies if available. Please contact LTC marketing for information.
- Part numbers containing TR or TRM are shipped in tape and reel or 500 unit mini tape and reel, respectively
- Please refer to our general ordering information or the product datasheet for more details
Package Variations and Pricing
|Buy Now • Request Samples|
Demo BoardsLinear Technology offers many demo boards free of charge to qualified customers. Contact your local sales office or distributor to inquire about a demo board. Certain demo boards are also available for sale via credit card on this website. Demo boards are for evaluation purposes only. It remains the customer’s responsibility to verify proper and reliable operation in the actual end application.
|DC1256A||LTC4012CUF-2 Demo Board | Multi-Chemistry, 3A Sync Buck Battery Charger with PowerPath Control||$150.00|
|DC1614A||LTC4012CUF Demo Board | Multi-Chemistry 8A Buck Battery Charger with PowerPath Control||$150.00|
|DC1223A-B||USB to SM-Bus/SPI Interface with Monitor||$400.00|
Designed for Automotive and Transportation ApplicationsAEC-Q100 data is available for these specific part numbers. Please contact your local sales representative for more information regarding reliability reports or to inquire about parts that are not included. For more information, view our Automotive and Transportation page
|Buy Now • Request Samples|
- Notebook Computers
- Portable Instruments
- Battery Backup Systems
People Who Viewed This Product Also Viewed
- LTC4000 - High Voltage High Current Controller for Battery Charging and Power Management
- LTC4009 - High Efficiency, Multi-Chemistry Battery Charger
- LT3652 - Power Tracking 2A Battery Charger for Solar Power
- LTC4020 - 55V Buck-Boost Multi-Chemistry Battery Charger
- LT3796/LT3796-1 - 100V Constant-Current and Constant-Voltage Controller with Dual Current Sense
- LT3761/LT3761-1 - 60VIN LED Controller with Internal PWM Generator
- LTC4008 - 4A, High Efficiency, Multi-Chemistry Battery Charger
- LTC4000-1 - High Voltage High Current Controller for Battery Charging with Maximum Power Point Control
- LTM8062 - 32VIN, 2A μModule (Power Module) Power Tracking Battery Charger
- LT3652HV - Power Tracking 2A Battery Charger
Please login to your MyLinear account for notifications of datasheet updates, new document releases and LTspice model announcements for your favorite products. If you do not have a MyLinear account you may Sign Up Now.
Linear Technology provides a variety of custom design simulation tools and device models to allow even novice designers to quickly and easily evaluate circuits using high performance switching regulators, amplifiers, data converters, filters and more. Please visit our Design Tools page to view and download:
- LTspice IV - A powerful SPICE simulator, schematic capture and waveform viewer with enhancements and models for easing the simulation of switching regulators
- LTpowerCAD - A complete power supply selection, synthesis and design tool
- LTpowerPlay - A development environment supporting Linear Technology's Digital Power System Management (PSM) products
- PScope & QuikEval - USB-based product demonstration and data acquisition system for use with our ADCs, DACs, and more
- Linduino - Arduino compatible system for developing and distributing firmware libraries and example code
- LinearLab Tools - A collection of Matlab and Python programs that provide direct access to Linear Technology’s data converter evaluation boards
- And More!