LTC3856 - 2-Phase Synchronous Step-Down DC/DC Controller with Diffamp
- PolyPhase® Controller Reduces Input and Output Capacitance and Power Supply Induced Noise
- Wide VIN Range: 4.5V to 38V Operation
- ±0.75%, 0.6V Reference Voltage Accuracy
- High Efficiency: Up to 95%
- Programmable Burst Mode® Operation or Stage Shedding™ for Highest Light Load Efficiency
- Active Voltage Positioning (AVP)
- RSENSE or DCR Current Sensing
- Programmable DCR Temperature Compensation
- Phase-Lockable Fixed Frequency: 250kHz to 770kHz
- True Remote Sense Differential Amplifier
- Dual N-Channel MOSFET Synchronous Drive
- VOUT Range: 0.6V to 5V without Differential Amplifier
- VOUT Range: 0.6V to 3.3V with Differential Amplifier
- Adjustable Soft-Start or VOUT Tracking
- Stackable for Up to 12-Phase Operation
- 32-Pin (5mm × 5mm) QFN and 38-Pin TSSOP Packages
AEC-Q100 data available for specific packages
The LTC3856 is a single output, dual channel PolyPhase synchronous step-down DC/DC controller that drives all N-channel power MOSFET stages. This device includes a high speed differential amplifier for remote output voltage sense. Power loss and supply noise are minimized by operating the two controller output stages out-of-phase and up to 12-phase operation can be achieved.
The LTC3856 monitors the output current by sensing the voltage drop across the output inductor (DCR) or by using a sense resistor. DCR temperature compensation maintains an accurate current sense threshold over a broad temperature range. A constant-frequency, current mode architecture allows a phase-lockable frequency of up to 770kHz.
A wide 4.5V to 38V input supply range encompasses most intermediate bus voltages and battery chemistries. Burst Mode operation, continuous or Stage Shedding modes are supported. A TK/SS pin shared by both channels ramps the output voltage during start-up.
CAD Symbols and Footprints: The downloadable Zip file below contains the schematic symbol and PCB footprints.
For complete and up to date package information and drawings, please refer to our packaging page
- Part numbers ending in PBF are lead free. Solder plated terminal finish (SnPb) versions are non-standard and special terms and conditions and pricing applies if available. Please contact LTC marketing for information.
- Part numbers containing TR or TRM are shipped in tape and reel or 500 unit mini tape and reel, respectively
- Please refer to our general ordering information or the product datasheet for more details
Package Variations and Pricing
|Buy Now • Request Samples|
Demo BoardsLinear Technology offers many demo boards free of charge to qualified customers. Contact your local sales office or distributor to inquire about a demo board. Certain demo boards are also available for sale via credit card on this website. Demo boards are for evaluation purposes only. It remains the customer’s responsibility to verify proper and reliable operation in the actual end application.
|DC1580A||LTC3856EUH Demo Board | 4.5V ≤ VIN ≤ 14V, VOUT = 1.5V @ 50A||Contact Factory|
Designed for Automotive and Transportation ApplicationsAEC-Q100 data is available for these specific part numbers. Please contact your local sales representative for more information regarding reliability reports or to inquire about parts that are not included. For more information, view our Automotive and Transportation page
|Buy Now • Request Samples|
- Telecom and Datacom Systems
- Industrial and Medical Instruments
- DC Power Distribution Systems
- Computer Systems
People Who Viewed This Product Also Viewed
- LTC3855 - Dual, Multiphase Synchronous DC/DC Controller with Differential Remote Sense
- LTC3789 - High Efficiency, Synchronous, 4-Switch Buck-Boost Controller
- LTC3890 - 60V Low IQ, Dual, 2-Phase Synchronous Step-Down DC/DC Controller
- LTC3891 - Low IQ, 60V Synchronous Step-Down Controller
- LT3796/LT3796-1 - 100V Constant-Current and Constant-Voltage Controller with Dual Current Sense
- LT3758 - High Input Voltage, Boost, Flyback, SEPIC and Inverting Controller
- LTC3880 - Dual Output PolyPhase Step-Down DC/DC Controller with Digital Power System Management
- LTC3839 - Fast, Accurate, 2-Phase, Single-Output Step-Down DC/DC Controller with Differential Output Sensing
- LTC3829 - 3-Phase, Single Output Synchronous Step-Down DC/DC Controller with Diffamp
- LTC3810 - 100V Current Mode Synchronous Switching Regulator Controller
Please login to your MyLinear account for notifications of datasheet updates, new document releases and LTspice model announcements for your favorite products. If you do not have a MyLinear account you may Sign Up Now.
LTspice® software is a powerful, fast and free simulation tool, schematic capture and waveform viewer with enhancements and models for improving the simulation of switching regulators. Click here to download LTspice
To launch a ready to run LTspice demonstration circuit for this part:
- Step 1: If you have not installed LTspice on this computer, download and install LTspice
- Step 2: Once LTspice is installed, click on the link(s) below to launch the simulation
- Step 3: If LTspice does not automatically open after clicking the link above, you can instead run the simulation by right clicking on the link and selecting "Save Target As." After saving the file to your computer, start LTspice and open the demonstration circuit by selecting 'Open' from the 'File' menu
To explore other ready to run LTspice demonstration circuits, please visit our Demo Circuits Collection.
Models for the following parts are available in LTspice:
The LTpowerCAD design tool is a complete power supply design tool program that can significantly ease the tasks of power supply design. It guides users to a solution, selects power stage components, provides detailed power efficiency, shows quick loop bode plot stability and load transient analysis, and can export a final design to LTspice for simulation. Click here to download LTpowerCAD
To open the project file for this circuit:
- Step 1: If you have not installed LTpowerCAD on this computer, download and install LTpowerCAD
- Step 2: Once LTpowerCAD is installed, click on the link(s) below to open the project file
- Step 3: If LTpowerCAD does not automatically open after clicking the link above, you can open the project file by right clicking on the link and selecting "Save Target As." After saving the file to your computer, start LTpowerCAD and open the project file by selecting 'Open Project' from the 'File' menu
Design tools for the following parts are available in LTpowerCAD: