LTC1840 - Dual Fan Controller with 2-Wire Interface
- Two 8-Bit Current DACs
- DACs Guaranteed Monotonic
- Known IC State on Power-Up
- Serial Interface Watchdog Timer with Disable
- 2-Wire Serial Interface Compatible with I2C™ and SMBus
- 2 Programmable Fan Tachometer Interfaces
- 4 Programmable General Purpose I/Os
- Small 16-Pin SSOP Package
- Single 2.7V to 5.75V Supply Operation
- Fault Output Signal
- Status Register
- Fan Blasting Function
- Nine Addresses Using Two Programming Lines
The LTC®1840 is a fan controller with two 8-bit current output DACs, two tachometer interfaces, and four general purpose I/O (GPIO) pins. It operates from a single supply with a range of 2.7V to 5.75V. A current output DAC is used to control an external switching regulator, which controls the fan speed. A current output DAC and tachometer allow a controller to form a closed control loop on fan velocity. The GPIO pins can be used as digital inputs or open drain pull-down outputs.
The part features a simple 2-wire I²C and SMBus compatible serial interface that allows communication between many devices. The interface includes a fault status register that reflects the state of the part and which can be polled to find the cause of a fault condition. Other operational characteristics of the part, such as DAC output currents, GPIO modes, and tachometer frequency, are also programmed through the serial interface. Two address pins provide nine possible device addresses.
The BLAST pin is provided to force the DAC output currents to program the maximum regulator output voltages through a single pin and gate the operation of the serial access timer.
CAD Symbols and Footprints: The downloadable Zip file below contains the schematic symbol and PCB footprints.
For complete and up to date package information and drawings, please refer to our packaging page
- Part numbers ending in PBF are lead free. Solder plated terminal finish (SnPb) versions are non-standard and special terms and conditions and pricing applies if available. Please contact LTC marketing for information.
- Part numbers containing TR or TRM are shipped in tape and reel or 500 unit mini tape and reel, respectively
- Please refer to our general ordering information or the product datasheet for more details
Package Variations and Pricing
|Buy Now • Request Samples|
Demo BoardsLinear Technology offers many demo boards free of charge to qualified customers. Contact your local sales office or distributor to inquire about a demo board. Certain demo boards are also available for sale via credit card on this website. Demo boards are for evaluation purposes only. It remains the customer’s responsibility to verify proper and reliable operation in the actual end application.
Click here to view our complete list of demo boards
- Desktop Computers
- Power Supplies
- Cooling Systems
People Who Viewed This Product Also Viewed
- LTC1695 - SMBus/I2C Fan Speed Controller in SOT-23
- LT4320/LT4320-1 - Ideal Diode Bridge Controller
- LT3080 - Adjustable 1.1A Single Resistor Low Dropout Regulator
- LT5400 - Quad Matched Resistor Network
- LTC4364 - Surge Stopper with Ideal Diode
- LT8705 - 80V VIN and VOUT Synchronous 4-Switch Buck- Boost DC/DC Controller
- LTC6992 - TimerBlox: Voltage-Controlled Pulse Width Modulator (PWM)
- LT3796/LT3796-1 - 100V Constant-Current and Constant-Voltage Controller with Dual Current Sense
- LT3761/LT3761-1 - 60VIN LED Controller with Internal PWM Generator
- LT4363 - High Voltage Surge Stopper with Current Limit
Please login to your MyLinear account for notifications of datasheet updates, new document releases and LTspice model announcements for your favorite products. If you do not have a MyLinear account you may Sign Up Now.
Linear Technology provides a variety of custom design simulation tools and device models to allow even novice designers to quickly and easily evaluate circuits using high performance switching regulators, amplifiers, data converters, filters and more. Please visit our Design Tools page to view and download:
- LTspice - A powerful SPICE simulator, schematic capture and waveform viewer with enhancements and models for easing the simulation of switching regulators
- LTpowerCAD - A complete power supply selection, synthesis and design tool
- LTpowerPlay - A development environment supporting Linear Technology's Digital Power System Management (PSM) products
- PScope & QuikEval - USB-based product demonstration and data acquisition system for use with our ADCs, DACs, and more
- Linduino - Arduino compatible system for developing and distributing firmware libraries and example code
- LinearLab Tools - A collection of Matlab and Python programs that provide direct access to Linear Technology’s data converter evaluation boards
- And More!