LT4356-1 and LT4356-2 - Surge Stopper
- Stops High Voltage Surges
- Adjustable Output Clamp Voltage
- Overcurrent Protection
- Wide Operation Range: 4V to 80V
- Reverse Input Protection to –60V
- Low 7μA Shutdown Current, LT4356-1
- Adjustable Fault Timer
- Controls N-channel MOSFET
- Shutdown Pin Withstands –60V to 100V
- Fault Output Indication
- Guaranteed Operation to 125°C
- Auxiliary Amplifier for Level Detection Comparator or Linear Regulator Controller
- Available in (4mm × 3mm) 12-Pin DFN, 10-Pin MSOP or 16-Pin SO Packages
AEC-Q100 data available for specific packages
The LT4356 surge stopper protects loads from high voltage transients. It regulates the output during an overvoltage event, such as load dump in automobiles, by controlling the gate of an external N-channel MOSFET. The output is limited to a safe value thereby allowing the loads to continue functioning. The LT4356 also monitors the voltage drop between the VCC and SNS pins to protect against overcurrent faults. An internal amplifier limits the current sense voltage to 50mV. In either fault condition, a timer is started inversely proportional to MOSFET stress. If the timer expires, the FLT pin pulls low to warn of an impending power down. If the condition persists, the MOSFET is turned off. After a cool down period, the GATE pin pulls up turning on the MOSFET again.
The auxiliary amplifier may be used as a voltage detection comparator or as a linear regulator controller driving an external PNP pass transistor.
Back-to-back FETs can be used in lieu of a Schottky diode for reverse input protection, reducing voltage drop and power loss. A shutdown pin reduces the quiescent current to less than 7μA for the LT4356-1 during shutdown. The LT4356-2 differs from the LT4356-1 during shutdown by reducing the quiescent current to 60μA and keeping alive the auxiliary amplifier for uses such as an undervoltage lockout or always-on regulator.
|Low Current Shutdown||7uA||60uA||7uA|
|Aux Amp In Shutdown||OFF||Always Alive||OFF|
|Fault Retry||Retry||Retry||Latch Off|
|Packages||DFN-12, MS-10, SO-16||DFN-12, SO-16||DFN-12, MS-10, SO-16|
|Temp Grades||C, I, H, MP||C, I, H, MP||C, I, H, MP|
CAD Symbols and Footprints: The downloadable Zip file below contains the schematic symbol and PCB footprints.
For complete and up to date package information and drawings, please refer to our packaging page
- Part numbers ending in PBF are lead free. Solder plated terminal finish (SnPb) versions are non-standard and special terms and conditions and pricing applies if available. Please contact LTC marketing for information.
- Part numbers containing TR or TRM are shipped in tape and reel or 500 unit mini tape and reel, respectively
- Please refer to our general ordering information or the product datasheet for more details
Package Variations and Pricingsales office or authorized distributor.
Demo BoardsLinear Technology offers many demo boards free of charge to qualified customers. Contact your local sales office or distributor to inquire about a demo board. Certain demo boards are also available for sale via credit card on this website. Demo boards are for evaluation purposes only. It remains the customer’s responsibility to verify proper and reliable operation in the actual end application.
|DC1018B-A||LT4356-1 Demo | Overvoltage Protection Regulator with Auto-retry||$50.00|
|DC1018B-B||LT4356-2 Demo | Overvoltage Protection Regulator with Auto-retry, Aux Amplifier remains on during Shutdown||$50.00|
Designed for Automotive and Transportation ApplicationsAEC-Q100 data is available for these specific part numbers. Please contact your local sales representative for more information regarding reliability reports or to inquire about parts that are not included. For more information, view our Automotive and Transportation page
|Buy Now • Request Samples|
- Automotive/Avionic Surge Protection
- Hot Swap/Live Insertion
- High Side Switch for Battery Powered Systems
- Intrinsic Safety Applications
People Who Viewed This Product Also Viewed
- LT4363 - High Voltage Surge Stopper with Current Limit
- LTC4364 - Surge Stopper with Ideal Diode
- LTC4366 - High Voltage Surge Stopper
- LTC4365 - Overvoltage, Undervoltage and Reverse Supply Protection Controller
- LTC4359 - Ideal Diode Controller with Reverse Input Protection
- LT4320/LT4320-1 - Ideal Diode Bridge Controller
- LT8705 - 80V VIN and VOUT Synchronous 4-Switch Buck- Boost DC/DC Controller
- LT4356-3 and LT4356MP-3 - Surge Stopper with Fault Latchoff
- LT3080 - Adjustable 1.1A Single Resistor Low Dropout Regulator
- LT3796/LT3796-1 - 100V Constant-Current and Constant-Voltage Controller with Dual Current Sense
Please login to your MyLinear account for notifications of datasheet updates, new document releases and LTspice model announcements for your favorite products. If you do not have a MyLinear account you may Sign Up Now.
LTspice® software is a powerful, fast and free simulation tool, schematic capture and waveform viewer with enhancements and models for improving the simulation of switching regulators. Click here to download LTspice
To launch a ready to run LTspice demonstration circuit for this part:
- Step 1: If you have not installed LTspice on this computer, download and install LTspice
- Step 2: Once LTspice is installed, click on the link(s) below to launch the simulation
- Step 3: If LTspice does not automatically open after clicking the link above, you can instead run the simulation by right clicking on the link and selecting "Save Target As." After saving the file to your computer, start LTspice and open the demonstration circuit by selecting 'Open' from the 'File' menu
To explore other ready to run LTspice demonstration circuits, please visit our Demo Circuits Collection.
Models for the following parts are available in LTspice: