LT3478 - 4.5A Monolithic LED Drivers with True Color PWM Dimming
- True Color PWM™ Dimming Delivers Constant LED Color with Up to 3000:1 Range
- Wide Input Voltage Range: 2.8V to 36V
- 4.5A, 60mΩ, 42V Internal Switch
- Drives LEDs in Boost, Buck-Boost or Buck Modes
- Integrated Resistors for Inductor and LED Current Sensing
- Program LED Current:
100mA to 1050mA (LT3478-1)
(10mV to 105mV)/RSENSE (LT3478)
- Program LED Current De-Rating vs Temperature
- Separate Inductor Supply Input
- Inrush Current Protection
- Programmable Soft-Start
- Fixed Frequency Operation from 200kHz to 2.25MHz
- Open LED Protection (Programmable OVP)
- Accurate Shutdown/UVLO Threshold with Programmable Hysteresis
- 16-Pin Thermally Enhanced TSSOP Package
AEC-Q100 data available for specific packages
DescriptionThe LT3478/LT3478-1 are 4.5A step-up DC/DC converters designed to drive LEDs with a constant current over a wide programmable range. Series connection of the LEDs provides identical LED currents for uniform brightness without the need for ballast resistors and expensive factory calibration.
The LT3478-1 reduces external component count and cost by integrating the LED current sense resistor. The LT3478 uses an external sense resistor to extend the maximum programmable LED current beyond 1A and also to achieve greater accuracy when programming low LED currents. Operating frequency can be set with an external resistor from 200kHz up to 2.25MHz. Unique circuitry allows a PWM dimming range up to 3000:1 while maintaining constant LED color. The LT3478/LT3478-1 are ideal for high power LED driver applications such as automotive TFT LCD backlights, courtesy lighting and heads-up displays. One of two CTRL pins can be used to program maximum LED current. The other CTRL pin can be used to program a reduction in maximum LED current vs temperature to maximize LED usage and improve reliability.
Additional features include inrush current protection, programmable open LED protection and programmable soft-start. Each part is available in a 16-pin thermally enhanced TSSOP Package.
CAD Symbols and Footprints: The downloadable Zip file below contains the schematic symbol and PCB footprints.
For complete and up to date package information and drawings, please refer to our packaging page
- Part numbers ending in PBF are lead free. Solder plated terminal finish (SnPb) versions are non-standard and special terms and conditions and pricing applies if available. Please contact LTC marketing for information.
- Part numbers containing TR or TRM are shipped in tape and reel or 500 unit mini tape and reel, respectively
- Please refer to our general ordering information or the product datasheet for more details
Package Variations and Pricing
|Buy Now • Request Samples|
Demo BoardsLinear Technology offers many demo boards free of charge to qualified customers. Contact your local sales office or distributor to inquire about a demo board. Certain demo boards are also available for sale via credit card on this website. Demo boards are for evaluation purposes only. It remains the customer’s responsibility to verify proper and reliable operation in the actual end application.
|DC949A-A||LT3478EFE-1 Demo Board | Boost LED Driver, Internal RSENSE, 2.8V ≤ VIN ≤ 25V, VLED up to 36V @ 350mA||$125.00|
|DC949A-B||LT3478EFE Demo Board | Boost LED Driver, Adj LED Current, 2.8V ≤ VIN ≤ 25V, VLED up to 36V @ 350mA||$125.00|
Designed for Automotive and Transportation ApplicationsAEC-Q100 data is available for these specific part numbers. Please contact your local sales representative for more information regarding reliability reports or to inquire about parts that are not included. For more information, view our Automotive and Transportation page
|Buy Now • Request Samples|
- High Power LED Driver
- Automotive Lighting
People Who Viewed This Product Also Viewed
- LT3477 - 3A, DC/DC Converter with Dual Rail-to-Rail Current Sense
- LT3761/LT3761-1 - 60VIN LED Controller with Internal PWM Generator
- LT3518 - Full-Featured LED Driver with 2.3A Switch Current
- LT3796/LT3796-1 - 100V Constant-Current and Constant-Voltage Controller with Dual Current Sense
- LTC3783 - PWM LED Driver and Boost, Flyback and SEPIC Converter
- LT3755/LT3755-1/LT3755-2 - 40VIN, 75VOUT LED Controllers
- LTM8042/LTM8042-1 - μModule (Power Module) Boost LED Driver and Current Source
- LT3517 - Full-Featured LED Driver with 1.5A Switch Current
- LT3756/LT3756-1/LT3756-2 - 100VIN, 100VOUT LED Controller
- LT3791 - 60V 4-Switch Synchronous Buck-Boost LED Driver Controller
Please login to your MyLinear account for notifications of datasheet updates, new document releases and LTspice model announcements for your favorite products. If you do not have a MyLinear account you may Sign Up Now.
LTspice® software is a powerful, fast and free simulation tool, schematic capture and waveform viewer with enhancements and models for improving the simulation of switching regulators. Click here to download LTspice
To launch a ready to run LTspice demonstration circuit for this part:
- Step 1: If you have not installed LTspice on this computer, download and install LTspice
- Step 2: Once LTspice is installed, click on the link(s) below to launch the simulation
- Step 3: If LTspice does not automatically open after clicking the link above, you can instead run the simulation by right clicking on the link and selecting "Save Target As." After saving the file to your computer, start LTspice and open the demonstration circuit by selecting 'Open' from the 'File' menu
To explore other ready to run LTspice demonstration circuits, please visit our Demo Circuits Collection.
Models for the following parts are available in LTspice: