LM338 - 5A Positive Adjustable Voltage Regulator
- Guaranteed 1% Initial Tolerance
- Guaranteed 0.3% Load Regulation
- Guaranteed 5A Output Current
- 100% Thermal Limit Burn-In
- 12A Transient Output Current
Most H (Metal Can), J (Ceramic), and K (Metal Can) Packages from Linear Technology Are Obsolete
The LT138A series of adjustable regulators provide 5A output current over an output voltage range of 1.2V to 32V. The internal voltage reference is trimmed to less than 1%, enabling a very tight output voltage. In addition to excellent line and load regulation, with full overload protection, the LT138A incorporates new current limiting circuitry allowing large transient load currents to be handled for short periods. Transient load currents of up to 12A can be supplied without limiting, eliminating the need for a large output capacitor.
The LT138A is an improved version of the popular LM138 with improved circuit design and advanced process techniques to provide superior performance and reliability.
The graph below shows the significant improvement in output voltage tolerance achieved by using the LT138A or LT338A.
PackagingFor complete and up to date package information and drawings, please refer to our packaging page
- Part numbers ending in PBF are lead free. Solder plated terminal finish (SnPb) versions are non-standard and special terms and conditions and pricing applies if available. Please contact LTC marketing for information.
- Part numbers containing TR or TRM are shipped in tape and reel or 500 unit mini tape and reel, respectively
- Please refer to our general ordering information or the product datasheet for more details
Demo BoardsLinear Technology offers many demo boards free of charge to qualified customers. Contact your local sales office or distributor to inquire about a demo board. Certain demo boards are also available for sale via credit card on this website. Demo boards are for evaluation purposes only. It remains the customer’s responsibility to verify proper and reliable operation in the actual end application.
Click here to view our complete list of demo boards
- High Power Linear Regulator
- Battery Chargers
- Power Driver
- Constant-Current Regulator
People Who Viewed This Product Also Viewed
- LT1083 - 7.5A, 5A, 3A Low Dropout Positive Adjustable Regulators
- LM317 - Positive Adjustable Regulator
- LT1084 - 7.5A, 5A, 3A Low Dropout Positive Adjustable Regulators
- LT338A - 5A Positive Adjustable Voltage Regulator
- LT3083 - Adjustable 3A Single Resistor Low Dropout Regulator
- LT1085 - 7.5A, 5A, 3A Low Dropout Positive Adjustable Regulators
- LT3080 - Adjustable 1.1A Single Resistor Low Dropout Regulator
- LT1085-Fixed - 3A, 5A, 7.5A Low Dropout Positive Fixed Regulators
- LT1083-Fixed - 3A, 5A, 7.5A Low Dropout Positive Fixed Regulators
- LT1028 - Ultra Low Noise Precision High Speed Op Amps
Please login to your MyLinear account for notifications of datasheet updates, new document releases and LTspice model announcements for your favorite products. If you do not have a MyLinear account you may Sign Up Now.
Linear Technology provides a variety of custom design simulation tools and device models to allow even novice designers to quickly and easily evaluate circuits using high performance switching regulators, amplifiers, data converters, filters and more. Please visit our Design Tools page to view and download:
- LTspice - A powerful SPICE simulator, schematic capture and waveform viewer with enhancements and models for easing the simulation of switching regulators
- LTpowerCAD - A complete power supply selection, synthesis and design tool
- LTpowerPlay - A development environment supporting Linear Technology's Digital Power System Management (PSM) products
- PScope & QuikEval - USB-based product demonstration and data acquisition system for use with our ADCs, DACs, and more
- Linduino - Arduino compatible system for developing and distributing firmware libraries and example code
- LinearLab Tools - A collection of Matlab and Python programs that provide direct access to Linear Technology’s data converter evaluation boards
- And More!